Go Back   Notebook In Hand > General > NiH Book Club: The Book Thief > Previous Book Club Conversations

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1
AXJ
Roscoe Scoundrel

AXJ is on a distinguished road
Default 14. Name of the Wind and 15. Distraction and Farewells

In 14 Kvothe nearly kills himself. He was trying to figure out how to call the wind, and he binds the air outside to the air in his lungs. Ben is able to rescue him and they play off the near-disaster by claiming they were rehearsing a play. Afterwards Ben will only tutor him in mundane subjects.

In 15 Ben meets a widow with a brewery that needs running and a son that needs tutoring. They throw Ben a big bash, and in it, Kvothe's dad sings part of the song about Lanre and the Chandrian that he's been working on. Ben gives Kvothe a copy of Rhetoric & Logic - which Kvothe really hates- and inscribes it with, "Defend yourself well at the University. Make me proud. Remember your fatherís song. Be wary of folly."

---

I like how in 14 Kvothe is conclusively shown to not have judgment commesurate with his talent. No beating around the bush or minimizing it. The aftermath feels appropriately awkward.

The inscription in 15 really piques my curiosity. There's the obvious connection between "be wary of folly" and the sword's mounting board in the frame story, but that seems more like a minor curiosity really. It's the "remember your father's song" part that intrigues me, especially (chap 16 spoilers!) given what happens next. I guess let's talk about that in the Chap 16 thread.
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
scarydoor
Balloon Animal

scarydoor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 14. Name of the Wind and 15. Distraction and Farewells

Oh man, this book has slipped my mind over the past week or so. I had a crazy bout of working the mathemagic and then got thrown into a state of "don't think about much...". I'll probably catch up tomorrow on the train. I'm up to something like 13 I think. It's good.
scarydoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
scarydoor
Balloon Animal

scarydoor is on a distinguished road

I have finally read these. I don't know if people are still going with the book? I heard references to people saying they're reading it, but haven't seen much discussion from those people... what's up with that?

I have to say that through these chapters I found myself getting a little annoyed at how pristine and pure it all seems. Kvothe is a great student. Everything's great. His parents are perfect people. And Kvothe feels sad that he upset Ben by being mildly interesting. I think Kvothe should grow a spine, or whatever the expression is. The world feels a little too fairytale to me. The people are kind of caricatures. Although maybe I was just grouchy while reading...
scarydoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
AXJ
Roscoe Scoundrel

AXJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
I have finally read these. I don't know if people are still going with the book? I heard references to people saying they're reading it, but haven't seen much discussion from those people... what's up with that?
Everyone who said they'd participate, didn't, except for you and Stephen.

Either I suck at running book clubs or NiH doesn't like talking about books.
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #5
stephen
Utter Smeg

stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post

I have to say that through these chapters I found myself getting a little annoyed at how pristine and pure it all seems. Kvothe is a great student. Everything's great. His parents are perfect people. And Kvothe feels sad that he upset Ben by being mildly interesting. I think Kvothe should grow a spine, or whatever the expression is. The world feels a little too fairytale to me. The people are kind of caricatures. Although maybe I was just grouchy while reading...

All I can say is I'm reminded of the feeling of wanting to say something so badly but I can't, with fear of spoiling anything for you. The feeling that I get when I know what's going on over at Mark Does Stuff.

As for doing the book club, I'm not a very good participant of the one chapter at a time stuff, because I was just eating up the book. Sorry
Go Back Notebook In Hand > General > NiH Book Club: The Book Thief > Previous Book Club Conversations